CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 05, 2008

My Very Own Guitar Heroes...

So I've almost made it through my first semester of undergraduate teaching and I LOVE it! I teach a music fundamentals class that focuses on performance so we have learned recorder, guitar, bells, and singing. I am proud to say I've managed to teach a class of 27 students the fundamentals of guitar without ever picking one up in class (if that's not talent, I don't know what is)!! I've actually gotten alright at the guitar myself through my home practice/jam sessions. Ha!
Each student had to pick a song and perform it for me for a test grade. They did the same with the recorder (which was painful for my ears!). I was pretty impressed by the guitar tests. Who knew I could teach them to play the guitar? Most of them are much better than I am!

Since they got to choose their own songs, I had quite a variety to listen to from Jesus Loves Me to Bingo to John Mayer and Taylor Swift and of course a good amount of The Beatles!

This week, we had an all out jam session on piano, bells, guitar and recorders! We were the coolest band ever! We played Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D, and some of the classic Christmas songs like "Jingle Bells" and "Jolly Old St. Nicholas." My students rock!

Don't you wish you had me for a teacher in college!? Ha!

1 comment:

April said...

That sounds like lots of fun!