I've officially reached the unofficial mid-point of my phD studies! If all works out, I should be graduating and making everyone I meet call me Dr. Stephens by May of 2011! I spend most of my time overwhelmed by the crazy work load and stressing about money but I really do feel truly blessed to even have the opportunity to attempt this degree. I often find myself in over my head wondering if I'm actually capable of this high level of study but I try to thank God everyday for giving me the chance to try.
This semester was especially stressful. Here are some of the high (and low) points:
HIGHS
Teaching went really well! I tried out a couple of new ideas and they were successful! YES!
I interned with a professor and gained a lot of new teaching ideas (as well as a line on my CV (curriculum vitae)
I presented some of my own research at one of the largest music education conferences in the U.S.
I managed to cultivate a few new friendships for which I am thankful!
Austin and are closer than ever!
LOWS
I was in a Latin American Music class that taught me nothing about Latin American music because half of it was in Spanish and I do not speak that language!
I gave my first F ever...I'm not going to lie, it felt kind of good. The student didn't do ANYTHING! This might make me sound like a bad person but I'm okay with that.
I was the only grad student in a theatre class that turned out to be 90% group work. As is my luck, I got the slacker of all slacker groups. Go figure! (I could go into a lot of detail about the ridiculousness that was this class and my group but it's just too much to type. Ask me about it next time I see you!)
My epilepsy made a ridiculous comeback at Subway in the middle of the semester...awesome
I spent all semester registered in a class called "Writing a Book." The only assignment was to write a book. I procrastinated and wrote it the weekend before it was due (this could be counted as a high I suppose)!
Things to look forward to next semester?
My assistantship has been doubled which means twice the money and I get to observe student teachers (something I've been interested in forever!).
I am presenting my very first workshop on teaching at the Arizona Music Educators Association conference in January.
Start thinking about my dissertation topic and proposal
For now, it's time to forget about school, relax, and look forward to spending CHristmas with my family and a quick visit to Amanda just in time to meet her baby boy #2!
Merry Christmas Everyone!
3 years ago

3 comments:
Merry Christmas to you too. Congratulations on all that you have accomplished so far. Have a nice break!!
Darling, i love you very much and am proud and plased at the beautiful young lady you have grown into. you are without a doubt the same bundle of joy i delivered into the world. thanks for being the Christian lady you are, dad
Love your highs and lows and forwards list!
hang in there - you'll be done before you know it!
see u soon!
Post a Comment