Do you remember having field day as a kid? I LOVED field day when I was little. It was one of the year's most highly anticipated activities. We would go to the high school across the street (literally) and do track and field events all day. Looking back, I'm not sure what made it the most fun day of the year because by the end of the day you are hot, tired and dehydrated. But hopefully you have the blue ribbon in horseshoes or bocci ball that makes the whole day worthwhile.
Today was field day at CHS. As a teacher, I had the honor to be in charge of one of the stations. I was in charge of the obstacle course, the one activity that no matter how coordinated or talented you are, there is at least one part of the obstacle course that you are absolutely horrible at. This obstacle course entailed three major things (it was a small course)...running, stepping quickly through hoola hoops on the ground....running....crawling under ropes...with a potato sack race to finish it off. Up until today, I thought watching grown men spin around with their heads on a baseball bat and then trying to run in a straight line could be the funniest thing I've ever seen. Now I know this is not true. The funniest thing I've ever seen is now watching kindergartners run in potato sacks. No words can actually describe what it was like to watch these little five and six year olds struggle to make it to that finish line. I don't think one made it without falling at least once...it was amazing. I know I shouldn't laugh at kids who are still developing basic coordination but as a teacher I reserve the right to laugh at the funny things kids do. Now the older kids should be pretty well coordinated by now right? Absolutely not! It wasn't so much the potato sacks that got to them...it was the stepping through hoola hoops that they just couldn't quite get. I have to say, despite the 90 degree weather, it was a great field day. It's nice to have field day to look forward to again after all these years. Only 1/2 a day to go!
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment