CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 08, 2007

While I'm on the Subject of Music...

So as I was writing my last post a song came to mind that I just had to share. And thankfully, I found a recording of it on You Tube of a group from Northwest Missouri Univ. The name of the piece is "The Awakening," and the composer escapes my mind for the moment (if you know who it is let me know and I'll give credit where credit is due). It's important to really listen to the lyrics of the composition because therein lies so much meaning for all of us, music nerd or otherwise. The piece is about a dream someone has where there is no music. It's a very eerie and uneasy feeling. It really captures just how important music is. It's hard to understand all the words so I've written down some of the key lyrics. Also pay close attention to the piano...it's a beautiful part and paints the text being sung wonderfully! Please let me know your reaction to this amazing composition.

"I dreamed a dream, a silent dream of a land not far away.
Where noone sang, no steeples rang and teardrops fell like rain.

I dreamed a dream, a silent dream of a land so filled with pride.
And every soul both weak and strong, withered and died.

No hallelujah!
Not one Hosanna!...

And noone sang to change the world...
I dreamed a dream, a silent dream...

Awake, awake...
The time for praise has come

Let music never die in me
Forever let my Spirit sing...

Awake, awake!
Let music live!
Let music live!
Let music live!"

3 comments:

April said...

That's a beautiful song. I can't imagine life without music!

Anonymous said...

Hey April...how's it going? Just wanted to let you know that 'The Awakening' is by Joseph Martin. My high school choir did that song and I loved it!!

Anonymous said...

I had the privilege of singing this song with the Texas High School State Choir my senior year in 1998 and I still to this day sing this song. It made such an impact in my life as music has been THE defining characteristic for me. Thank you for posting this song. I have been looking for a way to listen to it.