CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 13, 2008

The Sun Is Still in the Sky And Shining Above You...

I was sitting here attempting to work on a grad school project when a song by ABBA, "I Have A Dream" came on my itunes. I've been listening to ABBA a lot lately. My sisters and I spent a lot of time singing ABBA at the top of our lungs with my Mom and Grandma Amerine. As I was sitting here listening, I realized that this week is the anniversary of my Grandma's passing in 1991. This probably explains why I've been listening to so much ABBA lately and why I was brought to tears several times watching the musical "Mamma Mia" this weekend. My Grandma was amazing person with, from what I remember at a young age, an amazing amount of courage and endurance.

I've been struggling a lot lately with my decision to move to Tucson, AZ and pursue my Ph.D. I don't particularly like it here and haven't really connected with anyone. It's like I can't stop wanting what I can't have (which is the U of A magically transporting itself to San Antonio). I miss the life I had in San Antonio and have pretty much refused to make Tucson home.

My favorite ABBA song "Chiquitita" sums up dealing with troubling situations in a wonderful way:

Chiquitita, you and I know
How the heartaches come and they go and the scars theyre leaving
Youll be dancing once again and the pain will end
You will have no time for grieving
Chiquitita, you and I cry
But the sun is still in the sky and shining above you
Let me hear you sing once more like you did before
Sing a new song, chiquitita
Try once more like you did before
Sing a new song, chiquitita

I think it's time for me to do exactly this...no wonder Grandma loved this song! I hope you all have a wonderful week!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

you go april! i know that you'll figure out what you need to do...hang in there. grad school and life in tucson will soon pass!

Jaime said...

I did more than sing...I danced a many dances to our ABBA record as a child. I am sorry you aren't just lovin' the life there. I am glad you spent some time reflecting on your Grandma. Hang in there and keep singing (and dancing.) :-)

April said...

Oh we danced too! I love ABBA! Thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories. I miss grandma, too. If life hands you a lemon (Tucson), make lemonade. Do the best you can.

April said...

Hey April,
Sorry you haven't been loving life in Tucson, but I pray that it will get better for you! Love you girl!