As a music teacher, I don't know that I can say I have a "favorite song." That is just too difficult. But when contemplating this question, the first work that came to my mind was Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. Not only is a beautiful masterpiece that brought tears to my eyes when experiencing it in a concert setting. The meaning behind it is what I love most.
As many know, Beethoven became deaf in his adulthood. He had a very unhappy childhood as well. He felt it was music that literally kept him from killing himself. The 9th is one of his last works and was his last performance as a conductor. So why is this troubled man writing about joy? I think it is remarkable. When he considered ending his life he said he didn't because he felt he had more music to write. As he slowly became deaf, his music became more troubled, dissonant, and angry. Yet, this final symphony is filled with joy and victory.
Beethoven was completed deaf when he premiered this symphony. When it was over, the audience loved it but Beethoven couldn't hear. The first violinist stood and turned Beethoven so he could see the great reaction that his final symphony received.
The entire symphony is beautiful, I will leave you with the last part of the final movement featuring "Ode to Joy." Thank you Beethoven, and thank you Dr. Fletcher for teaching me to love Beethoven - both the man and his music!
3 years ago

1 comment:
thanks for the history lesson : )
Post a Comment