So I'm sitting outside with this awesome 1st grader and we are discussing the goofy things I've been doing that qualify me for being a ding dong. We're talking he says, "the first time my big sister saw you she thought you were a student." So I said, "really?? The first time I saw you I thought you were a parent!" He looked at me for a very long time (at least 10 seconds), and said, "when I was in kindergarten, you thought I was a parent?" and I said, "I did." Then he looked at me, thinking very hard, for at least another 20 seconds and finally said, "a mom or a dad?" He was so serious! I laugh very hard for a short time and we continue our conversation and it went something like this:
Student: What else did you do that made you a ding dong?
Miss Stephens: Well I hit my head yesterday, do you think I have a concussion?
Student: (stares blankly) I don't know what that is.
Miss Stephens: It's when you hit your head and can't think straight (that's the medical answer!)
Student: Oh, well let me ask you some questions to find out. What is 1-1?
Miss Stephens: (thinks really hard and guesses...) 2?
Student: No that's adding
Miss Stephens: Oh right!...um...0? Is that right?
Student: (again thinks for a little while) Actually I don't know the answer to that question!
I love this kid!
3 years ago

4 comments:
I used to teach school and can remember converstations like this with kids! Now I have them with my 5 year old and some of the kids in her class! Funny!
i love it!
oh i should also tell you that my parents liked your blog and my dad laughed so hard at your retreat itenerary you put up awhile back. i'm telling you, my parents would adopt you.
haha
if amanda's parents will pay off our student loan we will let them adopt you at least for a little while
Post a Comment